Posted in art, drawing, news, painting

Welcome to 2023!

Life memberships were presented to Joan Mellahn, Helen McKerrow and Judy Brawn for their long term commitment to the group, their support of local artists and promotion of the group by continued involvement in the broader community. Judy has also been President for 11 years.

The group is once again meeting at Woorinen South Community Hall each Wednesday morning. If you need a lift, let us know there is always someone heading out from Swan Hill.

Our AGM was held on 17th January at the Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery, followed by a General Meeting. Norma Anderson has taken on President, and Lorri Lambert remains in the role of Secretary and acting Treasurer. We currently have 17 members.

General Business from the meeting:

Twilight Arts Market
This will be held at the Town Hall on Saturday 25th February. 
Members agreed to have a 2m x 4m stall at the cost of $90.  This is an opportunity to promote the group.  The market runs from 4pm – 8pm with further details to be obtained by Lorri and members advised regarding delivery and pick up of items.  Norma has offered to collect display stands from Judy for the event and will check with her regarding the banner.  Once more details are obtained Lorri will consult with Helen and Norma to plan how the site will be set up to best highlight the artworks and display other items.

Workshop Survey Results

The survey showed that members are happy with the current format of First Wednesday workshops and special guests for one or two days on weekends.

Pastels, Oils and Pen and Wash were the top three selected medium.

Portraits, Life drawing/painting and colour mixing were the top three in skill development.

Jon Lam, Di Giddings, Jan Lawler and Kerryn Finch were the top four tutors in the survey.

Newly suggested tutors include Bethany McKay (Dandy Lion studio tutor), Glenda Cornell and Basil Hall.

Workshop planning group will include Lorri, Norma and Nancy with Maxine and Sue to be asked if they wish to participate.

Thanks
Helen McKerrow thanked Norma for organising our annual Christmas functions and for always providing beautiful decorations for the event.  This was supported by a round of applause.

Swan Hill Show:  MASH will continue to support with a donation and assistance in hanging works.

Motel Group: Thank you to the Tuesday group for arranging a gift as thanks to Justin and Jean.

Lake Boga Annual Art Show February 23-25
Joy advised the group that entries are still open and that it is a great community event and an opportunity to sell some work.  Lorri to post an update on Facebook to remind members.  Entry forms will be taken to art group on Wednesday.

Insurance
Some discussion was held about our insurance and what it covers.  Lorri explained that it is called Market Stall Insurance but also covers us for $20m public liability insurance.  This covers us against accidents at any event we participate in anywhere in Australia.  *Lorri looked up policy to confirm following the meeting.

Membership
The question was raised why we have not continued the $10 reimbursement at the Christmas event.  Lorri explained that the funds were needed for insurance and also used to purchase materials and support workshops.  Effectively we were only charging $15 membership if we continued the reimbursement.  Members agreed that the annual fee is still very reasonable at $25.

Life Memberships
Presented to Joan Mellahn and Helen McKerrow for their support of MASH, local artists; often representing MASH in other forums and promoting the Arts in the region.  Lorri will present Life Membership to Judy Brawn for 11 years as President and her support for the Arts in our community.

Monthly Cuppa/get together
It was agreed to continue these in 2023 as they are a great way to keep the group connected.  There was discussion around venues and it was agreed to meet at the same venue this year to make it easier to remember.  The group agreed to meet at Modern natural (opposite the town hall) as it is roomy, has plenty of parking and usually not busy so we can hear each other.  Norma will contact the café and the first one will be February 24th 10.30am.

Survey for Art Gallery Redevelopment
Members were asked to complete the survey being conducted to gather ideas for the redevelopment of the Regional Art Gallery.  Lorri completed the survey online and hard copies were made available.

9×5 Exhibition again in 2023
This will be held in April this year and some members took boards and signed up.  More boards will be made available for those who wish to participate.

Lorri will provide feedback to the organising Committee of the exhibition regarding the obscurity of the Auction site and difficulty for some to locate and navigate.  Being inside the real estate agent website made it unclear as to the real purpose of the fundraiser.  Also it was questioned that the platform was used by some artists to self promote and concerns that this was not appropriate for a fundraiser.

Moving House
Joan Mellahn advised the group she has moved to Logan Lodge and as a result will have paintings and art materials that can not be housed.  Family are assisting in sorting and Joy has offered to photograph Joan’s paintings.  Members agreed to assist Joan in selling paintings at an afternoon (date to be announced) where funds will be donated to a charity of Joan’s choice. 

Meeting closed 11.50am

Author:

Artist, teacher, Counsellor, Art Therapist.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s