Mallee Artists will be celebrating 21 years with a retrospective exhibition at Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery. Opening 25th November 2022! Stay tuned for more information!!
The AGM will be held on Wednesday 15th September, 10am @ Woorinen South Community Hall. Painting afterwards for those who wish to stay.
BYO lunch! RSVP: 0467 879 261
February: Finally back together after the summer break! No workshops but it was wonderful catching up with everyone. Had an AGM and set some ideas for the year. Also instigated a last Friday of the month catch up cuppa date to enable the two groups to get together. Tuesday at the Motel has a cap of 6 but we can still have up to 20 at the Woorinen Hall. Then another lockdown on 12th Feb!
March: Funky Trees with Merrilyn Kemp. We had a lot of fun painting these and the workshop consultation lasted weeks with the final one completed in June 🙂
April: Paverpol with Helen Mac. PaverPol is a fun 3D sculpture using wire frame and then covering in fabric dipped in special hardening cement like stuff! (very technical description)
May: Collage on one day ( a diy) session
May: Clay heads with Di Giddings. It was lovely to be able to have former member Di back for a visit and to run another clay workshop for us. Some really interesting results. Check out Kylie’s wonderful patina finish.
June: Another snap lockdown slowed us down a bit but we kept working on our funky trees!
I just had to add Reike’s fantastic pyrography! Also check out Sue’s lovely maggies (these are featured as our current image on the Facebook group).
Coming up July 7th: Abstract Trees and Rocks with Merrilyn Kemp (see next post for)
Please post your latest work or email Lorri your images if you don’t know how!
cheers Lorri 🙂
General Meeting of Mallee Artists Swan Hill Inc.
Held 10.30am Wednesday 10th February 2021 at Woorinen South Community Centre Hall
(12 members in attendance, 7 apologies received. full names not publicly available)
SHRCC Hall invoice and COVID safe rules for hall.
- Venues (COVID SAFE)
- We can have up to 20 here at the hall. Please BYO mug, entry by donation. Although we have to pay $30 per week it was agreed to keep the weekly fee as a gold coin donation with MASH paying for the shortfall if necessary. Lorri to approach Council to see if we can have the fee waived or lowered.
- There are 4 regulars attending the motel and the limit is currently 6 people. If you wish to attend please contact Sue. No fees for the motel at this stage. BYO food and mug.
- Thank You to Justin & Jean.
Judy and Sue presented them with a thank you gift. Judy to be reimbursed.
- Art Supplies. Dandy Lion studio has some good quality supplies, although Limited. The Gift of Craft has some Monte Marte supplies, suitable for beginners. Discussion to approach both Dandy Lion and Bakker and Glen regarding supply of watercolour paper and odourless turps as being the most difficult supplies to get. Most people order online.
- Raising our profile: The suggestions presented last year will be followed up on. Lorri to check if Information Centre & gallery still have flyers.
- Swan Hill Show: If the show runs in 2021 MASH will continue to support with a donation and assistance in hanging works. T was suggested we also have flyers available to be handed out.
- Discussion was held regarding a suitable venue and if we want to do the Mothers Day exhibition in 2021. Lorri suggested that more important was that it was MASH’s 20th year of operation and that perhaps a “Retrospective Exhibition” and celebration be held instead. It was agreed to put our energy into that instead of the Mothers Day exhibition.
- Lorri to contact Ian Tully to discuss. If the Regional Gallery is not available other possible venue have been suggested including: Anglican or Uniting church halls, Grain Shed.
A sub was formed committee to organise the exhibition and celebration consisting of:
Joy, Judy, Lorri and Helen Mc.
- Social Activities
Norma suggested that a sub committee be formed to arrange some social outings to connect the members especially as we now have two groups. It was agreed that some social outings such as coffee mornings and some trips to neighbouring galleries would be great. Norma and Sue agreed to take on this role and will meet to discuss ideas to bring to members.
- Workshop ideas
Members were asked to suggest ideas for major workshops as well as “First Wednesday” in house workshops. Workshop sub Committee is currently: Judy, Helen Mc, Lorri, Nancy, Maxine and Sue.
- Major Workshops
- Paul Oswin (watercolour)
- Jon Lam (oils or acrylics)
- Kathy Gibson Glass art (requires travel to Moulamein)
- Shirley Pinchen (drawing)
- Di Giddings (clay heads)
- Mosaics (requires travel to Moulamein)
- Ross Paterson (oils)
- First Wednesdays the Hall
- March 3rd: Merrilyn offered to run “Funky Trees” acrylics workshop over 2 days. Lorri to liaise with Merrilyn and send out information.
- April 7th & 14th: Paverpol (sculpture) price to be advised
- May 5th: Collage and paper mosaics. (free) bring your ideas and materials to share!
Meeting closed 11.30am
Next Meeting May 12th 12 noon
Wednesday 3rd & 10th #2 days $20 per person These fun and funky trees are painted using acrylics. Materials required:
~Large canvas, minimum size recommended 300 x 600
~Acrylic paints & brushes including a wide flat brush and a few old round brushes
~ Field easel if you have one
~ water container for dirty brushes
~ a small palette eg ice cream container lid.
First Wednesday Workshops!
The First Wednesday each month will be an in-house workshop facilitated by one of our members. These will be held at the Woorinen South Community Hall. The Committee have the first couple organised but would love input into subjects and mediums members would like to try or re-visit.
March: Collage 2D and 3D
Wednesday 3rd from 10am Cost: $5
Explore the difference between collage and decoupage, bring along all kinds of paper, fabrics, other embellishments, scissors, glue and something to stick it on! Bring something 3D for an extra challenge like this cute little ceramic duck covered in rice paper. (Rice paper is quite thin and can be purchased locally from Hillbilly Scrappin’ )
Wednesday 7th and 14th. Starts 10am
This is a two day workshop and those who have done this previously can help newbies to get started. Costs and a list of materials you need to bring will be provided to those who are interested. Please let Judy or Lorri if you wish to attend.
Mallee Artists will resume regular painting days from the first week in February.
Tuesdays @ the Murray River Motel, Swan Hill from 9.30am
Entry by donation.
please note that numbers are limited to 6 due to COVID social distancing restrictions.
Register your interest with Sue M: 0409376839
Wednesdays @ Woorinen South, Community Centre Hall from 9.30am
$5 fee to cover hire costs and insurance.
The AGM will be held at the Woorinen South Community Centre all on Wednesday 10th February, 2021 at 10am.
All members past and present are welcome to attend ad to stay and paint or draw for the day.
BYO snacks and drinks to make this a COVID safe meeting.
Painting days resume the first week of February. restrictions apply @ the motel on Tuesdays.
Wednesdays at the Woorinen South Community Centre Hall 9.30am to 1.30pm. Gold Coin Donation.
Please contact Lorri to find out more about our painting days. 0467 879 261.