What a lovely morning we spent with the beautiful and learned Margaret Lewis learning to be brave and experiment with interesting brush techniques and colours. We are hoping to invite Marg back later in the year to explore landscapes. Here are some of our experiments!
30th March Watercolours with Marg Lewis
FREE for members. Marg is a very experienced artist with over 50 years of experience painting and teaching, including hosting painting holidays. Since moving to the region, Marg has developed a real love of the local landscape and enjoys painting the Mallee and the Murray River. Marg will share with us some tips and techniques for watercolours.
Please Bring: Pencil, envelopes different sizes, Watercolour or acrylic paints, soft brushes, water containers, paper towels, Picnic plates as pallets. Card and cutting tools supplied.
April in Moulamein: Glass art and Mosaics
Spend one or two days in beautiful Moulamein. Cabins available for overnight at Moulamein caravan park, right on the lake. $40 per person (shared). Please bring if you have: Apron, Safety dust mask, Safety glasses, Paper, pencil and Permanent marker plus Paper towel (these may be used in either workshop).
Day 1 Sat 23 April. Glass Art with Kathy Gibson
$90 for members ($100 for non-members) 10am – 3pm
Workshop costs $100 per person and runs from 9:30-4. Class number is min. of 4 max. of 8. Price includes tea and coffee, project glass, tools and kiln hire. Findings and additional or speciality glass will cost extra.
Please bring your own lunch. Visit Kathy’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/moulamein.glass.art
Day 2 Mosaics with Sandy Peeters
$50 per person ($60 for non-members) 10am – 3pm
Sunday fun day of mosaics with Sandy at her whispering waters studio at Moulamein lakeside caravan park. A tour of the mosaics & sculptures in the park will start the day. Enjoy a day of decorating a bird bath or a piece of your choice. Great for beginners. Sandy has an amazing selection of tiles, glass & China to choose from. Tea/coffee & light lunch included. Visit Sandy’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/mosaicartwithsandy
Wed 4th May – Playing with Clay with Nancy
Members: $10 per person to cover cost of clay (non members $20)
This will be a workshop on basic methods of hand building:- pinch pots, working with slabs, coiling etc. We will be using raku clay which won’t be fired, so items should be kept dry once completed. In order to try various methods, small items will be created. (see examples). Please bring the following if possible.
Hand towel (it will be your permanent clay towel. Wooden spoon or small bat, small sock filled with rice, small sponge, water container, small spoon, box or container to take your work home.
Wednesday 1st June Mono Printing & Gelli plates with Lorri
Free for members ($20 non members)
Gelli Printing Plates are a soft, reusable plate for transferring your work to paper with hand pressure. They are a very easy and mess-free way of making monoprints, and work especially well with acrylics. Painting on the plates is supplemented with the use of natural and man made objects such as leaves and stencils.
Sat 25th June: Expressive Portraits with Paul Oswin
$40 members ($60 non members) 10am – 3pm
Pauls workshops have become very popular across the state and beyond. Loosen up and experiment with expressive watercolour and charcoal techniques to create unique portraits. Bring your own photos and materials. Portraits can be human or animal. (list to be provided when you book).
Sat 10th Sept: Landscapes with Jon Lam
$40 members ($60 non members) 10am – 3pm
For those who came to Jon’s previous workshop in 2018 you will remember Jon’s relaxed and helpful tutoring.
Jon paints for the sheer pleasure it gives him. Jon has won over 40 awards during his career and he seems to be going from strength to strength. His paintings reveal an intensely inquisitive mind. This explains why Jon paints in various media and styles.
Jon is competent with watercolour, oil, acrylic and pastels and his works vary between traditional to contemporary.
More details will be provided later in the year.
#Note Workshop details and any changes will be posted on Website, Facebook and Email.
End of Month Cuppa
Come along to a great social get together for all MASH members from both groups.
10.30am, Friday 25th February @ Modern Natural Café, McCallum St Swan Hill.
Please let Norma or Sue know if you are coming.
21st Birthday Update
The exhibition dates are set and the finer details of how best to celebrate are still being thrashed out.
We are planning an opening on the Friday night and a COVID safe dinner with finger food on Saturday. Entry forms are now finalised, and we will arrange a day for works to be photographed if artists need help. Lorri has prepared notes to help you write a short biography and artist statement to accompany your work. Forms available soon.
- Friday 30 September 2022: Entries close
- Friday 25 November: Official opening of Exhibition
- Saturday 26 November: 6.30pm Artists and guests’ dinner
- Sunday 30 January 2023 Last day of exhibition
Weekly Art Groups
Weekly painting days are in full swing again with everyone starting on new work and some completing their boards for the 9×5 Exhibition and charity auction. Don’t forget they need to be either given to Sue or Lorri by the end of February or taken to the Gallery by 5th March.
- Tuesdays 9.30 – to 12 @ Murray River Motel
- Wednesdays 9.30 to 12.30 @ Woorinen South Community Hall.
The MASH community were saddened to hear that our member and friend Merrilyn lost her husband, Bill to cancer recently. We send our most sincere sympathy to Merrilyn and her family.
Monthly Workshops – March to June, 2022
- 30th March: Watercolours with Marg Lewis (member tutor)
- 23rd & 24th April: Glass Art and Mosaics in Moulamein*
- 4th May: Clay workshop with Nancy (membertutor)
- 1st June: Mono Printing using Gelli plates and other fun stuff with Lorri
(member tutor sample image right)
- Saturday 25th June: Expressive Portraits with Paul Oswin*
- Saturday 10th September: Landscapes with Jon Lam*
All workshops are held at the Woorinen South Community Hall unless otherwise stated. # COVID safe rules apply. Please supply own materials where possible. Sanitiser is available to clean any shared resources.
Exhibitions & Competitions
The Mallee Through My Eyes
Lake Boga Flying Boat Museum. Opens Friday 18th February. Did anyone enter?
Send the Secretary some photos, especially if you are a winner!
- Winners will be announced at the opening.
- People’s choice award will be announced 4 pm Sunday 20th February.
- Entries to be collected Sunday night at 4pm.
Notions of Care until 27th March at Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery.
This exhibition explores the ways in which art and nurture are interlinked, through the works of Arini Byng, Snapcat, Polly Stanton, Kate Tucker and Katie West. The exhibition asks questions about the ways that art can care for both viewers and artists. Notions of care are unfolded, cultivated, and enforced.
9×5 Exhibition and Online Auction, Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery, 1st April – 15th May
Completed artworks and your profile need to be handed to Sue or Lorri by the end of February or delivered to the Gallery by 5th March. Please put your name on the back of the artwork, complete the form provided or email the responses to email@example.com
Artworks will be on display at the Gallery and images and profiles will be on the auction website, address not yet given.
Kerang Rotary Art Show, Easter 2022
Entries are now open. Entry forms have been emailed to all on our list. Judge: Jon Lam.
Print & Drawing Acquisitive Awards 2022The awards promote excellence in Australian prints and drawings; present an exhibition of contemporary Australian prints and drawings, and continue to build a high quality collection for Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery. Entry forms available from Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery.
Small Regional Galleries – well worth a visit
Moulamein Art Gallery
Open Thursday & Friday 10-4pm. There is a great selection of local art, crafts, gifts & produce for you to purchase. Plus good coffee, tea & cakes. Grab a couple of friends and take a drive.
Cohuna Art/Craft Gallery
Gallery Hours: Fridays 10am – noon and 1.30 -3.30pm Plus Saturdays 10am – noon.
Kerang Library Gallery (see creative Gannawarra website for information on exhibitions) https://www.gannawarra.vic.gov.au/Community-Services/Creative-Gannawarra
Balranald Art Gallery
Open 10am – 4pm most days. Phone 03 5020 0200 before taking a trip to check opening times.
Opening of the new Balranald Creative & Learning Centre building was celebrated recently. It is located on the grounds of the Balranald Art Gallery. It was a wonderful day of celebrations which also included celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Balranald Community Arts & Crafts and the 140th Birthday of the Original Masonic Hall.
Just can’t believe it’s November already!
Mallee Artists had fun with the theme of Sun and Moon as we participated in the Moulamein School Holiday Art Challenge. This was in place of our first Wednesday of the Month workshop for October.
Below are some of the artworks.
The group revisited Acrylic paint Pouring and it was a fun and relaxing morning for the group with some very interesting results. I will post photos as soon as I can (lost them all off my phone 😦
Christmas breakup will be Tuesday 7th November at the Lake Boga Pub. Traditional Chrissy Menu – check with Lorri or Norma for more details and to book.
Wednesday 8th & 15th December Art @ the Hall as per usual! We will break for 4 weeks, returning on Wednesday 12th January for those who are keen to keep on painting!!
Motel dates will be posted on Facebook.
The AGM will be held on Wednesday 15th September, 10am @ Woorinen South Community Hall. Painting afterwards for those who wish to stay.
BYO lunch! RSVP: 0467 879 261
General Meeting of Mallee Artists Swan Hill Inc.
Held 10.30am Wednesday 10th February 2021 at Woorinen South Community Centre Hall
(12 members in attendance, 7 apologies received. full names not publicly available)
SHRCC Hall invoice and COVID safe rules for hall.
- Venues (COVID SAFE)
- We can have up to 20 here at the hall. Please BYO mug, entry by donation. Although we have to pay $30 per week it was agreed to keep the weekly fee as a gold coin donation with MASH paying for the shortfall if necessary. Lorri to approach Council to see if we can have the fee waived or lowered.
- There are 4 regulars attending the motel and the limit is currently 6 people. If you wish to attend please contact Sue. No fees for the motel at this stage. BYO food and mug.
- Thank You to Justin & Jean.
Judy and Sue presented them with a thank you gift. Judy to be reimbursed.
- Art Supplies. Dandy Lion studio has some good quality supplies, although Limited. The Gift of Craft has some Monte Marte supplies, suitable for beginners. Discussion to approach both Dandy Lion and Bakker and Glen regarding supply of watercolour paper and odourless turps as being the most difficult supplies to get. Most people order online.
- Raising our profile: The suggestions presented last year will be followed up on. Lorri to check if Information Centre & gallery still have flyers.
- Swan Hill Show: If the show runs in 2021 MASH will continue to support with a donation and assistance in hanging works. T was suggested we also have flyers available to be handed out.
- Discussion was held regarding a suitable venue and if we want to do the Mothers Day exhibition in 2021. Lorri suggested that more important was that it was MASH’s 20th year of operation and that perhaps a “Retrospective Exhibition” and celebration be held instead. It was agreed to put our energy into that instead of the Mothers Day exhibition.
- Lorri to contact Ian Tully to discuss. If the Regional Gallery is not available other possible venue have been suggested including: Anglican or Uniting church halls, Grain Shed.
A sub was formed committee to organise the exhibition and celebration consisting of:
Joy, Judy, Lorri and Helen Mc.
- Social Activities
Norma suggested that a sub committee be formed to arrange some social outings to connect the members especially as we now have two groups. It was agreed that some social outings such as coffee mornings and some trips to neighbouring galleries would be great. Norma and Sue agreed to take on this role and will meet to discuss ideas to bring to members.
- Workshop ideas
Members were asked to suggest ideas for major workshops as well as “First Wednesday” in house workshops. Workshop sub Committee is currently: Judy, Helen Mc, Lorri, Nancy, Maxine and Sue.
- Major Workshops
- Paul Oswin (watercolour)
- Jon Lam (oils or acrylics)
- Kathy Gibson Glass art (requires travel to Moulamein)
- Shirley Pinchen (drawing)
- Di Giddings (clay heads)
- Mosaics (requires travel to Moulamein)
- Ross Paterson (oils)
- First Wednesdays the Hall
- March 3rd: Merrilyn offered to run “Funky Trees” acrylics workshop over 2 days. Lorri to liaise with Merrilyn and send out information.
- April 7th & 14th: Paverpol (sculpture) price to be advised
- May 5th: Collage and paper mosaics. (free) bring your ideas and materials to share!
Meeting closed 11.30am
Next Meeting May 12th 12 noon
Wednesday 3rd & 10th #2 days $20 per person These fun and funky trees are painted using acrylics. Materials required:
~Large canvas, minimum size recommended 300 x 600
~Acrylic paints & brushes including a wide flat brush and a few old round brushes
~ Field easel if you have one
~ water container for dirty brushes
~ a small palette eg ice cream container lid.
Mallee Artists will resume regular painting days from the first week in February.
Tuesdays @ the Murray River Motel, Swan Hill from 9.30am
Entry by donation.
please note that numbers are limited to 6 due to COVID social distancing restrictions.
Register your interest with Sue M: 0409376839
Wednesdays @ Woorinen South, Community Centre Hall from 9.30am
$5 fee to cover hire costs and insurance.
The AGM will be held at the Woorinen South Community Centre all on Wednesday 10th February, 2021 at 10am.
All members past and present are welcome to attend ad to stay and paint or draw for the day.
BYO snacks and drinks to make this a COVID safe meeting.
Painting days resume the first week of February. restrictions apply @ the motel on Tuesdays.
Wednesdays at the Woorinen South Community Centre Hall 9.30am to 1.30pm. Gold Coin Donation.
Please contact Lorri to find out more about our painting days. 0467 879 261.